Sep 10, 2015

San Miguel - Free beer in an improbable night

Dear beer enthusiasts,

this post puts an end to the Altbier sequence, although the story behind this bottle is still related to Düsseldorf.

San Miguel Especial is not a pretensious beer, only another pilsner, although slightly stronger in alcohol (5,4%). The producer of this beer is the Mahou San Miguel conglomerate, which apparently only has a website in Spanish... but I found some of the advertisement they do in a British website dedicated to this beer.

If you understand Spanish, take a look on their San Miguel History, the video is quite nice.
San Miguel Especial

After watching the video I was not certain as if this beer is really spanish or actually from the Phillipines, but what I know is that I got this specific 330ml bottle under the following circumstances:

- In Germany (Düsseldorf)
- In a Jazz bar
- On a Monday evening
- For free

I'm not completely sure about what possessed me and brought me to a jazz bar on a Monday evening... maybe it was the fact that I come from a city which never sleeps (São Paulo, not New York) or simply because my vacations made me forget that regular people work on Tuesdays, and therefore don't go to jazz bars on Mondays...

But there I was, in an almost empty bar, only in the company of a man cleaning the taps and a girl sitting on one of the tables while reading a book. I decided to sit near the only soul in that bar, and break the ice with her by making a beer related pun: "why is this bar so empty? Do they serve Kölsch here?"

As an answer I got half a smile and the menu... as it turns out, the girl sitting alone was the waitress, and the bar was really totally empty...

I ordered an Alt and we talked... I heard all she had to tell about her boss not being a very smart businessman and how she was not making good tips that night, but heard also more intense stories about how she volunteered for the American army during the Iraqui war and how she kicks trouble-makers out of the bar on more busy days... (o.O)

At some point the conversation converged to my bottle collection, and she seemed quite amazed by the fact that I was carrying bottles during a backpacking trip.

So she decided she would help with my collection, by offering me one of the beers the boss had behind the bar... she pulled out a whole assortment of flavored Becks (which I promptly ignored) and a San Miguel.

As I asked then "how much for the San Miguel" she just said: "It's yours, just put somewhere the boss won't see"

In the jacket it went... I gave her a good tip and went back to the Hotel with a regular beer and a curious story :)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment